April 29, 2013

Better than Starbucks Banana Bread

My kid is a sucker for Starbucks insanely priced banana bread.  I think it is decent but a little too dense for my liking and with recent dietary changes (more on that later) we have had to avoid it due to the buttermilk.

I have attempted to bake banana bread 5 or 6 times and each loaf has disappointed me in one way or another.  A Google search led me to the recipe I am going to share with you today and after making it at least ten times it has yet to disappoint. It has the yum of Starbucks but is less dense and more moist.  Today I altered the recipe by using organic coconut oil in order to up the healthy fat count in the skinny Rock Star's diet and it added even more to the WOW factor.  


Thanks to The Cordial Churchman for sharing the recipe he found on a card at Starbucks.  Here is the run down with the substitutions I've made.  Enjoy!

What You Need
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 1/8 cups sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil (originally vegetable oil)
2 tablespoons almond milk (originally buttermilk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 ripe medium-large bananas, mashed
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts & 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (in addition to 1/2 cup)

What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan and dust with flour.
2. Blend the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. Mix the egg, sugar, and coconut oil until combined. I warm the coconut oil to liquefy it first.
4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and when blended, add the almond milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas; mix well.
5. Fold optional 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. 
6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
7. Top the batter with remaining 1/3 cup of walnuts if using.
8. Bake for 45-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Slather with butter substitute or not! We usually eat this bread plain because it is THAT good. Let me know what you think if you try it!

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Dudette! I finally have 3 bananas that have not yet been devoured and I'm trying this recipe in 5 min - wish me luck!!!!