October 15, 2008

Make a Difference

Unless you were just born or have been living under a rock you are aware of the fact that poverty is a serious issue affecting individuals across the globe . It's easy to say that you are concerned but whether you choose to take action to try and make a difference is another story.

I'll admit that I'm guilty of talking the talk and not walking the walk. Yes I want to make a difference but I really don't do much to actually make this happen. I donate food to my local food bank, I donate small amounts of money when people ask for my support for one fundraiser or another, I toss change into an open palm every now and then, and I've talked about volunteering (talked being the key word). I know I should find some time to help out with those less fortunate but I'm greedy when it comes to my free time because I have so little of it.

Basically what I'm sheepishly admitting is that I want to find a way to contribute to change without leaving my couch. It just so happens that I have found one way to do this: Kiva.

"Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world." What better way to help people than to help them help themselves.

Please take a moment to visit Kiva's site and consider loaning some cash to someone who needs a little help. You can contribute to change without even leaving your living room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of the site but am about to check it out. Thanks, lady!!!
You do more than you think you do, but I totally get where you're coming from. :)

Anonymous said...

Our company has been supporting Kiva for a while, I think about a year. It is an awesome organization. Good post.

Anonymous said...

I had stumbled upon the Kiva blog ages ago but it wasn't until recently that I actually took the time to read it - what a fabulous organization! I love the fact that rather than just handing something to someone you're helping to empower them. Very cool.