October 12, 2008

This is...my current reading material.


I'm usually a one-book-at-a-time sort of girl but lately I've been reading multiple books at once; it seems to be working for me.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is a phenomenal read, one of those books you pick up and can't put down. I read it while applying my make-up in the morning (no easy task), eating, and cooking mostly. Awesome read. Thanks to Reebs and her books club for recommending this one.

Textbooks, textbooks and more textbooks. My bachelor of ed. program forces encourages me to read a zillion pages of material on a daily basis: teaching math, literature and science; child psychology; curriculum documents for all eight subjects; how to create an equitable environment; teaching ELL and MORE! Don't get me wrong, it's all good stuff but there is just no way it's all going to stick in my brain. At least I'll know where to locate the info when a time that I need it comes along.

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series is one that my friend Jackie introduced to me while I was visiting her in August. Vampires and werewolves?! I'm in. I've always had a thing for vampires. I just finished reading the second book in the series and can't wait to get my paws on the third.

Goggles by Ezra Jack Keats is a children's book that I am using this week for shared reading with my 3/4 class. Would I recommend it? Probably not but it works well for my purposes.

In the next couple weeks I intend to read A Venetian Affair by Andrea Di Robilant and the classic Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on both.

Thanks to My Champagne Dreams (a fabulous blog that I had never visited until now; I'll be sure to return) for choosing the theme for "This is..." this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics, Lady! Is the one for Goggles actually from the book or just a pic you found? I love finding funky pics on the web.
I want to read WAter for Elephants and the Twilight series, too. Heard good things about both.
I never did finish Wuthering Heights but should. I bought an antique edition of one but it was boring for me to get through. Lemme know how ya make out. :)

Anonymous said...

All of the pics in this post are from flickr - I love flickr. The kid with the goggles is a cutie huh? Trust me, the illustrations in the actual book Goggles do not compare to the fabulous shot above.

Oh no! Wuthering Heights is a tough one to get through is it? :( I'm going to start it tomorrow probably, I'll let you know what I think.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't heard of any of those books. I should write them down to remember them. Although I did read Wuthering Heights a very long time ago. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about them all. I too have posted this week about several books I am reading...which is also out of the ordinary for me. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Lovely images! I loved Water for Elephants - a very moving tale. I have heard a lot about the Twilight series on blogs - I may have to investigate!